Especially, in times of crisis, when the public is fearful, and concerned, about their health, and well – being, most citizens, prefer, leaders, who are ready, willing, and able to comfort them, and place the public’s interest, first! Whether, one supports, or opposes, President Trump’s leadership, etc, the way, this individual, articulates his messaging, and changes his narrative, makes it challenging, for anyone, other than his core supporters, to TRUST his ideas, motives, and readiness, for achieving the necessary objectives. When, Trump states, he deserves an A+, for how he’s handled this pandemic, although, in the United States, there have seen over 7 million cases, and, to – date, over 210, 000 deaths, his words, and reality, seem, at – odds! Since, the U.S. represents less than 5% of the world’s population, even, an average performance (a C) would have saved, perhaps, as much as 150, 000, or more lives. Because, so many, question this President’s motives, etc, and don’t seem to trust him, many are not willing to follow his proposals, and ideas (if he actually, had any). With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Truthful/ true; tell truth: You can fool some of the people, some of the time, but, eventually, many will realize, when an individual, isn’t being truthful! When, we witness, so many occasions, when he portrays lies, and half – truths, as reality, and the facts, many Americans seek a leader, who, consistently, is ready, willing, and able to tell the truth!
2. Relevant; reliable; responsive; responsible; realistic; reasons/ reasoning: Trump’s, Make America Great Again, slogan and campaign, instead of seeking relevant plans, settles for the same – old, same – old! Most citizens want reliable, responsible leaders, who clearly, articulate their reasons, and explain their reasoning/ rationale! When, a leader denies reality, rather than prioritizing a responsive, responsible, realistic approach/ plan, most people stop believing, in him!
3. Uses; useful; urgent/ urge; usual/ unusual: We need public leaders, who are prepared, to address, both, the usual, and unusual challenges! Using populist rhetoric serves only that politician’s personal/ political agenda, but is rarely, useful, to address a health crisis, in a well – considered, timely manner!
4. System; service; sustainable; solutions; strengthens: In most cases, effective leadership, requires proceeding, with the best system, to provide, quality service, and the finest, most sustainable, realistic, viable solutions! Unless/ until, one strengthens, the ability to handle an emergency, he is hurting many constituents!
5. Timely; time – tested: Trump’s lack of genuine leadership, is clearly demonstrated, by his unwillingness to put the well – being of the public, ahead of partisan politics! All that does, is lead, to inaction, and procrastination, when, especially, during a crisis, we need a leader, who proceeds, with, well – considered, timely action, and a clear understanding of time – tested expertise. It often seems, since he considers himself, a stable genius, who knows more than anyone else, he seems to often, ignore the advice of public health experts!
It’s hard to TRUST someone, who has spent, his entire term, in office, making record – setting, amounts of lies, etc! When, we need someone, who most people, will believe in, and follow, in times of crisis, lying causes any approach, to be weaker, and less effective!